When it comes to gift giving, there are few things more difficult than finding the perfect present for someone who is moving abroad. Whether you are looking for a going away gift for a friend or family member, or a housewarming gift for someone who has just relocated to another country, here are some great ideas for gifts for someone moving abroad.
Gifts for Someone Moving Abroad
There are so many great gift ideas for someone moving abroad but here are the top ten gifts for someone moving abroad.
The hardest part about moving abroad is learning a new language. Most American expats are moving to Mexico, Germany, and Hong Kong. That means that they will be learning a new language so that they can make new friends and converse with the people of that country.
“Fluent in 3 Months” is a book that I have used on my language learning journey and has helped me learn three languages with the tools it provides.
Moving abroad can be a big check off of someone’s bucket list so why not check off a few more things while they are living abroad?
This book is one of my favorite books for travel inspiration. It makes you just want to get out there and cross things off of your bucket list. Moving abroad is an exciting thing and makes the world feel so much more accessible. This book is perfect for moving abroad and will look great as a coffee table book in their new home!
Moving your entire life to a new country is stressful and overwhelming. They will need to bring a lot of important things with them and make sure that they have a safe way of getting everything to their final destination.
The three pieces of luggage are super helpful because they can use one as a carry-on and the others as checked bags. The hard-shell suitcases will also keep all of their valuables safe during the move.
Make sure they bring a backpack as well for a carry-on bag. There are lots of backpacks to choose from but one that I would recommend is the Matein Travel Laptop Backpack. This backpack has a portable charger perfect for charging their electronics and smartphones.
The file organizer for visas is a must when moving abroad. They will be bringing a lot of their most important documents such as their marriage certificate, birth certificate, social security card, visa paperwork, etc. Having an organized space for them is so important!
A passport is something they cannot lose when they are moving to a new country. It has their visa in it and is the only way to get into a country. This passport holder is the perfect gift for someone who is always losing things or can’t keep things in the right place.
Expat life means buying a lot of new things. Furnishing an apartment or just putting their touch on a furnished apartment is important to make the space feel like it’s their own. An Amazon gift card is the perfect gift so they don’t have to think if something is too expensive or unnecessary, they can just get it because it is something they need or want.
A map of their new county will help them familiarize themself with the cities and landmarks. It is also just something pretty to hang up in their new apartment that will make it feel homier.
You can also add photos and pins to the places that they have been on the map to make it a personal present that will mean so much to them.
A snack pack from their home country is a great way to help your friend or loved one while they are adjusting to their new country’s food. Let’s be real, America has some amazing snacks so getting them this snack pack will be a great way to show them you care about them and are thinking of them while they long-term travel.
The Culture Smart! company has made books for almost every country and talks about the country’s history, beliefs, and attitudes. These books are great recourses for people moving to a new country and will give them a little more information on how to more quickly assimilate.
An Echo Dot is a way to be able to ask questions whenever you have one. Alexa (the Echo Dot) can also translate into 8 different languages which makes it a great tool for learning a new language.
It also has a clock and alarm setting which makes it just a great all-around thing to have around a new house and is one less thing that they will have to purchase.
An Amazon Kindle with Kindle Unlimited is also a great gift from Amazon. Amazon Kindle tablets let you download thousands of books and audiobooks which is a great way to learn new languages and just be entertained.
10. Subscription Services (Netflix, Hulu, Peacock TV)
A streaming service can be your best friend when you move to a new country. Watching their favorite shows can bring back that feeling of comfort that they had when they first watched them.
Streaming services also are a great way to learn a new language if they put the show they are watching and subtitles in their new country’s language. Here is a post that I wrote more about using streaming services to learn a language.
A VPN can be necessary if they are moving to a new country. Countries like China and Indonesia have strict internet restrictions that they can only get around with a VPN.
Also, if they want to watch American shows and movies that are not available on their country’s streaming service, using a VPN is a great way to get around it.
As long as they have an internet connection and VPN they are able to access everything they had from their home country’s internet.
A photo album is a way to show your friend or loved one that you will always be thinking of them and gives them something to look back on when they are missing you. This photo album is for 4×6 size photos and can fit four of them per page.
I have been using a Fujifilm camera for years now and love it! It was the first thing I bought when I decided to be a digital nomad. Another thing that you will want to have is a tripod. I bought a SLIK Tripod which is a lightweight travel tripod and is perfect for someone moving abroad.
14. Rosetta Stone
Rosetta Stone is a great way to learn a new language when moving abroad. When I first moved abroad this is one of the first things that I bought and it really does help. It will help them put together sentences and makes them speak out loud in their new language which you need to do when learning a new language.
This product has unlimited access to over 24 languages and you can use it across all of your devices so I would say that this is definitely a great, practical gift for someone moving abroad.
What Does Moving Abroad Entail?
When you move abroad there are a lot of things that go into it. One of the best gifts that you can give your friend or loved one is your help during this stressful and crazy time. Here is just ten of the things that they will have to do to prepare to move abroad:
- Securing a job in your new country. This may require research beforehand and sending out applications.
- Applying for a visa. Depending on where you are moving, you may need to obtain a visa before entering the country.
- Finding a place to live. This may involve renting an apartment or house, or finding roommates to share living expenses with.
- Shipping your belongings overseas. This can be done through a variety of methods, such as air freight or sea freight.
- Registering with the local authorities. This is typically required in order to obtain a residency permit or work permit.
- Opening a bank account. This will allow you to easily access your money while in your new country.
- Acquiring health insurance. This is important in order to have coverage in case of illness or injury while abroad.
- Learning the local language. This can be done through classes, online resources, or immersion in the culture by living with a host family or attending a language school.
- Familiarizing yourself with the local customs and culture. This includes learning about the history, religion, and traditions of your new country.
- Adjusting to the climate and weather. This may involve buying new clothes or adapting your daily routine to accommodate for the change in temperature and daylight hours.
Is Moving Abroad Difficult?
Moving abroad can be both exciting and difficult. It is important to be prepared for the cultural differences you may encounter, as well as the practicalities of setting up your new life in a new country. With proper planning and research, however, the transition can be smooth and successful.
What are the Benefits of Moving Abroad?
There are many benefits to moving abroad, such as:
- The opportunity to learn about new cultures and customs. I ranked this number one because learning about a new country is the reason to travel and move abroad.
- The chance to meet new people and make new friends from all over the world. This part can be sad for you because your friend or loved one will make new friends that are not you. Just know that you will always be their number one!
- The opportunity to travel and explore new places. Being able to discover new places and travel is so much fun. Learning a new city’s history and customs and exploring a new country can be so fulfilling and is a great reason to move abroad.
- The chance to learn a new language or improve your skills in a foreign language. Learning a new language is the reason that I wanted to move abroad. Learning a language is the best way to make new friends and feel like you really belong.
- The opportunity to gain new work experience and skills. Working abroad is a great way to escape the American work environment. The USA is one of the worst places in the world for work-life balance so moving to any other country that is not America will make your life better.
- The chance to live in a different climate or environment. Getting away from your home country’s climate and environment is another reason why I decided to move abroad. We wanted to be in a place that had mountains and ocean and had weather that was comparable to California.
- The opportunity to save money on living expenses by living in a cheaper country. Moving to a country that has a lower cost of living is a great way to be able to save some money and live a more luxurious life.
- The chance to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and live in a more relaxed setting. Living in a big city can take a toll on your mental health. Getting out of a big city and moving to a smaller city is a great way to reset your life and live life in a more simple way.
- The chance to improve your quality of life by living in a country with better healthcare, education, and infrastructure. Basically living anywhere in Europe will get you all of this and more.
- The opportunity to make a difference in the world by working or volunteering in a developing country. If you do choose to move to a developing country make sure that you are not taking advantage of the locals that live there. Help where you can and contribute to the local economy.